Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Military

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Mary Aldermanbury, City of London: the burnt out remains following war damage

RIBA6853
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: This church was gutted during the Blitz of 1940 during World War II. The remaining walls of Portland stone were taken down in 1964-1965, shipped to Fulton, Missouri, USA, and re-erected at Westminster College, Fulton. A small planted garden now marks the sunken remains of the original church.

Belfry of St Mary Somerset, Upper Thames Street, City of London, under restoration

RIBA6857
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
NOTES: The body of this church, built in 1686-1694, was demolished in 1871. The fittings of the church were removed to St Mary's, Britannia Street, Hoxton. The distinctive eight pinnacles of the remaining tower were removed after World War II following bomb damage. The tower was designated a Grade I listed building in 1950 and was restored by the City of London Corporation in 1956.

Chapel of St John the Evangelist in the White Tower, Tower of London

RIBA6863
NOTES: Built in the 1080s for William the Conqueror by Gandalf, Bishop of Rochester, this chapel was where the royal family and the court worshipped and where the knights of the Order of the Bath spent their vigil the night before a coronation.

Chapel Royal of St Peter- ad -Vincula, Tower Green, Tower of London: memorial tomb to Sir John Holland, Duke of Exeter, and a Constable of the Tower (d. 1447)

RIBA6864
NOTES: This chapel has been the parish church of the Tower of London since 1520 and is a Royal Peculiar. It is probably best known as the burial place of some of the most famous prisoners executed on Tower Green.

St Bartholomew, Richard's Castle, Herefordshire: the short, squat detached belfry with pyramid roof

RIBA6907
NOTES: The church, adjacent to one of the earliest 'marcher castles', is mainly 12th century. The detached belfry, built as part of the Norman castle's defences, is c.1400.

St Cuthbert, Great Salkeld, Cumbria: the pele tower

RIBA6937
NOTES: The original Saxon church was rebuilt in Norman style in 1080. The pele tower (peel tower) was added in 1380, with an iron door for defence of the inhabitants against the Scots.

Powderham Castle, Devon

RIBA7004
Fowler, Charles (1792-1867)
NOTES: Charles Fowler was the architect for the major alterations and additions which were made for the tenth Earl of Devon in 1837-1848.

Lowther Castle, Cumbria

RIBA7005
Smirke, Sir Robert (1780-1867)

Mount Edgcumbe House, Torpoint, Cornwall

RIBA7006
Wightwick, George (1802-1872)
NOTES: Mount Edgcumbe House underwent significant alterations in 1844 to the designs of George Wightwick.

Goodrich Court, Herefordshire

RIBA7013
Blore, Edward (1787-1879)
Close
)
CLOSE