NOTES: This moated manor house is an exemplar of the timber-framed Tudor black-and-white house. The earliest part of the Hall was probably built by Richard de Moreton in the mid 15th century. The west, or kitchen end was built (or rebuilt) by William Moreton c.1480. The last major extension was the south wing added in 1570-1580. The 'domestic block' was added to the south wing in the early 1600s.
NOTES: Built by Richard Payne Knight, virtuoso, archaeologist and anthropologist, c.1772-1778, this house is one of the earliest contrived castellated castles. Knight was assisted in the early stages of building by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard.
NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.