Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Metalwork

View as Grid List
Sort by

Original publicity photograph of decoration sculpture, box and desk accessories

RIBA98641
Voysey, Charles Francis Annesley (1857-1941)
NOTES: The 'Architect's Devil' sculpture (left) is a self-caricature by Voysey (circa 1900); the newel of the seated man reading is said to be designed for The Pastures, north Luffenham (1890s); the box (1890s); and the ink well with the pen supported by the two hearts and the brass pen tray (both probably circa 1901-1905).

Designs for a decanter

RIBA98763
Burges, William (1827-1881)
NOTES: This design, and that at RIBA98763, are found in Burges's album of designs labelled 'Orfevrerie domestique'. The decanter was one of two Burges designed for himself  this one paid for with the fees earned from the Crimea Memorial Church competition (never executed). The decanter is now in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (M.16-1972), where it is described thus: Its glass body is encased in [silver] mounts inspired by gem-studded medieval book covers, while the animals engraved on the foot are reminiscent of the borders of Gothic manuscripts, and the cover is crowned by a Chinese rock crystal lion  the Chinese rock crystal Buddhist lion on the cover is 18th century; the coral cameos are 17th century. The ivory lion's head was based on the pommel of an 8th-7th century BC Assyrian dagger-hilt. It was made by Josiah Mendelson and George Angell.

Designs for a decanter

RIBA98764
Burges, William (1827-1881)
NOTES: This design, and that at RIBA98763, are found in Burges's album of designs labelled 'Orfevrerie domestique'. The decanter was one of two Burges designed for himself  this one paid for with the fees earned from the Crimea Memorial Church competition (never executed). The decanter is now in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (M.16-1972), where it is described thus: Its glass body is encased in [silver] mounts inspired by gem-studded medieval book covers, while the animals engraved on the foot are reminiscent of the borders of Gothic manuscripts, and the cover is crowned by a Chinese rock crystal lion  the Chinese rock crystal Buddhist lion on the cover is 18th century; the coral cameos are 17th century. The ivory lion's head was based on the pommel of an 8th-7th century BC Assyrian dagger-hilt. It was made by Josiah Mendelson and George Angell.

Designs for an office block (block D), Elephant and Castle Public House (block E) and the Odeon Cinema (block F), Trocadero Site, Elephant and Castle, Southwark, London: plans, elevations and sections of ironwork, block D

RIBA98932
Goldfinger, Erno (1902-1987)
NOTES: The Trocadero Site forms phase II of Goldfinger's designs for Elephant and Castle site II. The name refers to the 1930s Trocadero Cinema that previously occupied the site. The development consists of an office block (block D) attached to Alexander Fleming House via a link (project L), Elephant and Castle Public House with offices above (block E) and the Odeon Cinema (block F). Construction began in 1963.

Buchan Hill, near Crawley, West Sussex: detail of ceiling beam in the dining room with gargoyle

RIBA102554
Ernest George & Peto
NOTES: Now called Cottesmore School.

Buchan Hill, near Crawley, West Sussex: detail frieze and cornice in the dining room

RIBA102555
Ernest George & Peto
NOTES: Now called Cottesmore School.

Altar cross and candlesticks

RIBA105369
Voysey, Charles Francis Annesley (1857-1941)

Silver gilt covered salt cellar made for Dr H. Thursfield to present to the Royal College of Physicians made by Bainbridge Reynolds

RIBA105370
Reynolds, William Bainbridge (1855-1935)
NOTES: See RIBA94964 for the Voysey's drawing.

Silver flower vase for Rev. E. A. Voysey, made by Bainbridge Reynolds

RIBA105371
Reynolds, William Bainbridge (1855-1935)

Victorian Badge and chain showing the insignia of the Royal Institute of British Architects

RIBA106284
Hunt & Roskell
NOTES: The badge and chain was worn by John Whichcord, RIBA President 1879-1881, for his presidential portrait (see RIBA100432). It is a gold plated chain made by Hunt & Roskell, later altered by medalists John Pinches Limited circa 1971.
Categories
)
CLOSE