Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Manplan

RIBApix presents a series of features exploring the Architectural Review's radical assessment of the built environment at the end of the 1960s, MANPLAN.

Looking forward to the new decade ahead in the autumn of 1969 The Architectural Review (AR) paused to examine and evaluate state of the nation through its architecture and planning. This was by way of the publication of ‘Manplan’, a number of special editions of the AR focusing on topics ranging from housing to religion and how well these functioned within society. Manplan was not only a radical, sometimes brutal assessment of the built environment of the day, but today forms a poignant reminder of British life at the end of the sixties. Its stated intention was to take “as its yardstick real needs rather than minimum standards. Hence the title MANPLAN. A plan for human beings with a destiny rather than figures in a table of statistics.” (The Architectural Review, September 1969)

The first edition, Manplan 1, was published in September 1969 with the series ending a year later with Manplan 8. The intended Manplan 9 focusing on Leisure was never published, however the RIBA holds some of the photographer Patrick Ward’s contact sheets.

View as Grid List
Sort by

River Tyne, Wallsend, North Tyneside: site of the waggonway system

RIBA62501
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

K & L engineering factory, Killingworth Township, North Tyneside

RIBA62502
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Marconi-Elliott Microelectronics factory, Witham, Essex

RIBA62503
Anthony B. Davies & Associates
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Marconi-Elliott Microelectronics factory, Witham, Essex: entrance to the clean area

RIBA62510
Anthony B. Davies & Associates
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Marconi-Elliott Microelectronics factory, Witham, Essex: a technician at work in the laboratory

RIBA62512
Anthony B. Davies & Associates
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Hewlett Packard factory, South Queensferry

RIBA62516
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Roche Products storage building, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire

RIBA62517
James Cubitt, Fello Atkinson & Partners
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Roche Products storage building, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire: the all-steel storage stacks

RIBA62519
James Cubitt, Fello Atkinson & Partners
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Computer Technology Limited factory, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

RIBA62526
Foster Associates
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. This factory is a conversion of a former canning factory.

Computer Technology Limited factory, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire: the canteen

RIBA62529
Foster Associates
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. This factory is a conversion of a former canning factory.

Meat porter at Central Markets, West Smithfield, City of London

RIBA62531
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Ruins of Eglinton Castle, Kilwinning, Irvine, Ayrshire

RIBA62532
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. Built in 1797-1802 for the Montgomery Earls of Eglinton on the site of 16th century stronghold, this castellated mansion was abandoned in 1925 and deroofed in 1926. In the 1970s what remained of the structure was made safe by demolishing all but a wing facade and a single tower. This area became part of Irvine New Town, designated in 1965.

Robert Wilson & Sons food canning factory, the stables of Eglinton Castle, Kilwinning, Irvine, Ayrshire: factory workers outside the converted stable block

RIBA62533
Adam, Robert (1728-1792)
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. In the early 1950s Robert Wilson & Sons established their food canning business in the stable block, designed by Robert Adam, of Eglinton Castle, which became part of the area of Irvine New Town, designated in 1965. These premises were insufficient to accomodate the expanding butchery department so an 'Air House', devised by the Gourock Ropework Company, was erected at the rear of the stables in 1969.

'Airhouse' for Robert Wilson & Sons in the grounds of Eglinton Castle, Kilwinning, Irvine, Ayrshire

RIBA62534
Gourock Ropework Company
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. In the early 1950s Robert Wilson & Sons established their food canning business in the stable block, designed by Robert Adam, of Eglinton Castle, which became part of the area of Irvine New Town, designated in 1965. These premises were insufficient to accomodate the expanding butchery department so an 'Air House', devised by the Gourock Ropework Company, was erected at the rear of the stables in 1969.

'Airhouse' for Robert Wilson & Sons in the grounds of Eglinton Castle, Kilwinning, Irvine, Ayrshire

RIBA62535
Gourock Ropework Company
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. In the early 1950s Robert Wilson & Sons established their food canning business in the stable block, designed by Robert Adam, of Eglinton Castle, which became part of the area of Irvine New Town, designated in 1965. These premises were insufficient to accomodate the expanding butchery department so an 'Air House', devised by the Gourock Ropework Company, was erected at the rear of the stables in 1969.

Drawing offices for Lockheed-Georgia Company (GELAC), Marietta, Georgia: the completed building in full use on 8 June 1966

RIBA62540
Heery & Heery
NOTES: This is one of the images collected for use in 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov. These premises were built for the Lockheed aerospace company in just six months using Ezra Ehrenkrantz's School Construction Systems Development components (SCSD).

East Elementary School, Tooele, Utah: the internal courtyard

RIBA62543
Scott, Louie & Browning
NOTES: This is one of the images collected for use in 'Manplan 4: 'The Continuing Community' in Architectural Review, vol. 147, 1970 Jan.

Women working on an electronics factory assembly

RIBA62570
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Unidentified airport terminal under construction

RIBA62578
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.

Tyre tracks on a muddy construction site, Birmingham

RIBA62579
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 3: Town Workshop' in Architectural Review, vol. 146, 1969 Nov.
)
CLOSE