NOTES: The location had been used for lighthouses since 1829. The tower pictured was first built as a clock tower in 1860 and by 1865 it contained the navigational light as well. This lighthouse was decommissioned in 1952 when a new one on Galbokka Point was built.
NOTES: Hugh Casson, with Leslie Gooday as assistant, was responsible for the design of the boating-pool and leisure area. The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967.