Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Lanterns

View as Grid List
Sort by

Chichester Cathedral: the lantern tower and spire

RIBA26899
Scott, George Gilbert (1839-1897)
NOTES: Founded as a cathedral in 1075, the building was completed in 1108. Much of the Norman stonework, arcading and the timber-roofed nave were destroyed by fire in 1187 and were rebuilt and extended in Early English style in the 13th century. The spire was added to the lantern tower in the 15th century and collapsed in 1860. It was reconstructed in replica by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1861.

Long Alley Almshouses, Abingdon, with the steeple of St Helen's in the left background

RIBA26950
NOTES; These almshouses are on the western side of the churchyard of St Helen. Long Alley is the oldest almshouse, erected in 1446. The central porch was added in 1605 and the lantern over the Hall in 1707.

Cathedral of Our Lady (Onze Lieve Vrouwkathedraal): octagonal lantern at the crossing

RIBA27322
NOTES: The circular painting in the top of the lantern is 'The Assumption' by Cornelis Schut (1647).

Mosque of al-'Amri, Esna: the Fatimid minaret

RIBA27476
NOTES: This minaret with a square base, cylindrical upper part, concave octagonal drum, and domed lantern, is typical of Upper Egypt. The design is attributed to Fakhr al-Mulk Sa'd al-Dawla Sar Takin, a high-ranking Fatimid official.

Tour de l'Horloge seen from the cobbled main street, Avallon, Burgundy

RIBA27565
NOTES: The clock tower dates from the 15th century.

Chateau de Chaumont: close-up of a stair turret

RIBA27593
NOTES: This Gothic chateau with Renaissance additions replaced a 10th century fortress which was burnt to the ground in 1465 on the orders of Louis XI. It was rebuilt by Charles I d'Amboise from 1465-1475 and then finished by his son, Charles II d'Amboise de Chaumont from 1498-1510.

Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone and the Fontana del Moro, Piazza Navona, Rome: view from the south

RIBA27871
Bernini, Gian Lorenzo (1598-1680)
NOTES: The church of Sant'Agnese in Agone was reconstructed by Girolamo and Carlo Rainaldi in 1652, while the Baroque facade was completed in 1657 by Francesco Borromini. The Fontana del Moro was designed by Giacomo della Porta in 1576, with sculptures by Taddeo Landini, Simone Moschino, Silla Longhi and Egidio della Riviera. It was modified by Bernini in 1653 when he designed the central figure, the 'Moor', sculpted by Giovanni Antonio Mari.

Three designs for lanterns

RIBA29176
Smythson, John (d. 1634)
NOTES: This design is attributed to Robert Smythson or his son John Smythson.

Designs for a lantern and a doorway

RIBA29177
Smythson, John (d. 1634)
NOTES: This design is attributed to Robert Smythson or his son John Smythson.

Design for a small domed building: section and plan

RIBA29178
Smythson, Robert (c. 1535-1614)
NOTES: This design is attributed to Robert Smythson or his son John Smythson.

Design for a villa in the Grecian style: perspective view of the rear facade

RIBA29363
Harper, John (1809-1842)
NOTES: This drawing may have been intended for publication.
Categories
)
CLOSE