NOTES: This building comprises three independent types of structure: an in-situ reinforced concrete frame which holds together the main body of the cathedral; the sixteen load-bearing brick or concrete perimeter buildings, and the flat slab of the outdoor podium supported by concrete columns of load-bearing brick walls.
NOTES: In 1930 Sir Edwin Lutyens was commissioned to design the second Roman Catholic cathedral to contrast with the Gothic Revival Anglican cathedral of Giles Gilbert Scott being erected on the other end of Hope Street from 1904. Construction on Lutyens's massive structure began in 1933 but was suspended in 1941 due to wartime restrictions. Work recommenced on the crypt in 1956 and it was completed in 1958. Thereafter Lutyens's design was considered onerously expensive and was abandoned with only the crypt complete.
NOTES: This photograph, taken prior to the rebuilding of the bank, comes from the Francis William Troup archive held at the RIBA Library. Troup was a consultant architect to the Bank of England and prepared designs for the rebuilding of the Threadneedle site in 1920. The commission was given to Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 with whom Troup worked initially as supervising architect.
NOTES: The old church of St Mary the Virgin was pulled down in 1868 and a mortuary chapel was erected on its site with the materials. The tower was built or rebuilt in the 17th century by Sir Francis Staunton.
NOTES: This church was built for John Fane, Earl of Westmorland, and its design has been attributed to Colen Campbell, James Gibbs, Thomas Archer and Roger Morris. The spire is a copy of St Giles-in-the Fields, London, by Henry Flitcroft.
NOTES: This church, known as 'Wren's Lantern', suffered relatively minor damage during World War II, repairs to which were carried out in 1954. Such works led to the discovery of death-watch beetle in the roof timbers, and the Church was closed until 1963.