NOTES: This photograph, taken prior to the rebuilding of the bank, comes from the Francis William Troup archive held at the RIBA Library. Troup was a consultant architect to the Bank of England and prepared designs for the rebuilding of the Threadneedle site in 1920. The commission was given to Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 with whom Troup worked initially as supervising architect.
SOURCE: John Nash. The Royal Pavilion at Brighton (London, 1826), pl. 20 NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.