NOTES: Palazzo Borromeo was commissioned by Carlo III in 1632 and dedicated to his wife Isabella D'Adda, from whom the island takes its name. Construction of the house and design of its gardens was entrusted to Angelo Crivelli and completed by Carlo Fontana. The gardens were inaugurated in 1671.
NOTES: Henry Hoare II, a banker who had been on the Grand Tour, inherited Stourhead in 1741and was largely responsible for the design of the gardens. He employed Henry Flitcroft to design many of the garden buildings in the 1740s. The River Stour was dammed to form the great lake and was completed in 1757. The Pantheon, also designed by Henry Flitcroft, was built in 1756.
NOTES: Richard Cassels, a German architect living in Ireland, was engaged by John Browne, later the first Earl of Altamont, in 1732 to design the present east facade as part of a classical house laid out around the core of the earlier fortified house, O' Malley Castle. The house was further extended in the 1770s, but the two wings at the back of house were never completed. The artificial lake was created by the second Earl of Altamont (d.1780).