NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. Victor Pasmore was head of the design team for landscaping and responsible for the Apollo Pavilion.
NOTES: This complex of arts buildings and housing covers seven acres in the City of London. Built between 1971 and 1982, it regenerated an area which had been badly bombed during World War II. The estate has three residential towers: Cromwell Tower, completed in 1973; Shakespeare Tower, completed in 1976, and Lauderdale Tower, completed in 1974. The complex was Grade II listed in 2001.
NOTES: Palazzo Borromeo was commissioned by Carlo III in 1632 and dedicated to his wife Isabella D'Adda, from whom the island takes its name. Construction of the house and design of its gardens was entrusted to Angelo Crivelli and completed by Carlo Fontana. The gardens were inaugurated in 1671.
NOTES: Woburn Abbey became the seat of the Russell family in 1547 and of the Dukes of Bedford from 1694. The Abbey was largely rebuilt between 1744 and 1790 by Henry Flitcroft and Henry Holland. The house and park were opened to the public in 1955.