SOURCE: John Nash. The Royal Pavilion at Brighton (London, 1826), pl. 24 NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion. The Great kitchen was one of first areas to be completed in Nash's reconstruction. Erected in 1816, it was supplied with the cooking equipment by William Stark.