Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Insignia, emblems

View as Grid List
Sort by

Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire: detail of the centrepiece on the south front with the Cecil coat of arms and date

RIBA158690
Basil, Simon (d. 1615)
NOTES: Hatfield House, commissioned by the Lord Treasurer, Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, was designed by Simon Basil, who was Surveyor of the King's Works from 1606 until his death in 1615. The construction of the house was supervised by the surveyor, Robert Lemyinge (or Liminge), from 1607 to 1612. See RIBA148288 for a black and white version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of stained glass window in the Great Chamber

RIBA158754
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA148245 for a black and white version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of stained glass window with coats of arms in the Great Chamber

RIBA158755
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA148246 for a black and white version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of stained glass with the Gilling coat of arms and inscription in the Great Chamber

RIBA158756
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA148247 for a black and white version of this image.

Trentham Hall and gardens, Trentham: detail of the coat of arms on the porte cochere

RIBA161983
Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: Between 1835-1844, Barry substantially remodelled and enlarged the earlier 17th century house on the site for the second Duke of Sutherland, who inherited the estate in 1833. Built in the Italianate style its setting is within an 18th century landscape designed by Capability Brown. In 1910-1911, the bulk of the house was demolished. See RIBA150144 for a black and white version of this image.
Close
)
CLOSE