Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Insignia, emblems

View as Grid List
Sort by

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of stained glass window in the Great Chamber

RIBA148245
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA158754 for a colour version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of stained glass window with coats of arms in the Great Chamber

RIBA148246
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA158755 for a colour version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of stained glass with the Gilling coat of arms and inscription in the Great Chamber

RIBA148247
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA158756 for a colour version of this image.

Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire: detail of the centrepiece on the south front with the Cecil coat of arms and date

RIBA148288
Basil, Simon (d. 1615)
NOTES: Hatfield House, commissioned by the Lord Treasurer, Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, was designed by Simon Basil, who was Surveyor of the King's Works from 1606 until his death in 1615. The construction of the house was supervised by the surveyor, Robert Lemyinge (or Liminge), from 1607 to 1612. See RIBA158690 for a colour version of this image.

18 and 20 Market Place (former Red Lion Inn), Blandford Forum

RIBA148740
Bastard, John (c.1688-1770)
NOTES: See RIBA157217 for a colour version of this image.

Institute of Chartered Accountants, Great Swan Alley, Moorgate Place, City of London: the Great Hall

RIBA148778
Pite, Arthur Beresford (1861-1934)
NOTES: The Institute was built in 1890-1893 to a competition-winning design by John Belcher in collaboration with his pupil Beresford Pite. It was extended by Belcher's later partner J. J. Joass in 1930. Sir William Whitfield was commissioned in 1959 to further extend the building and provide a Great Hall, seen here, for which final designs were accepted in 1964 and the building completed in 1970.

Trentham Hall and gardens, Trentham: detail of the coat of arms on the porte cochere

RIBA150144
Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: Between 1835-1844, Barry substantially remodelled and enlarged the earlier 17th century house on the site for the second Duke of Sutherland, who inherited the estate in 1833. Built in the Italianate style its setting is within an 18th century landscape designed by Capability Brown. In 1910-1911, the bulk of the house was demolished. See RIBA161983 for a colour version of this image.

Forthampton Court, Tewkesbury: detail of the library overmantel designed by Webb

RIBA151130
Webb, Philip Speakman (1831-1915)
NOTES: Originally a residence for the abbots of Tewkesbury dating from the 12th-16th centuries. It was remodelled by Philip Webb in 1889-1891, with further modifications in 1913 and 1958. The small heraldic panel was carved by George Jack and gilded by Kate Faulkner. See RIBA157048 for a colour version of this image.

Church of St Mary, Kingston St Mary: stained glass windows with coats of arms

RIBA151290
Bampfylde, Coplestone Warre (1720-1791)
NOTES: The Church of St Mary dates from the 13th century, with later alterations including a 15th century tower. It also contains the vault where the Warre and Bampfylde family were interred and their memorials. These coats of arms may also refer to the families.

Church of St Mary, Kingston St Mary: detail of arches with coats of arms

RIBA151291
Bampfylde, Coplestone Warre (1720-1791)
NOTES: The Church of St Mary dates from the 13th century, with later alterations including a 15th century tower. It also contains the vault where the Warre and Bampfylde family were interred and their memorials. These coats of arms may also refer to the families.

Church of St Mary, Kingston St Mary: detail of arches with coats of arms

RIBA151292
Bampfylde, Coplestone Warre (1720-1791)
NOTES: The Church of St Mary dates from the 13th century, with later alterations including a 15th century tower. It also contains the vault where the Warre and Bampfylde family were interred and their memorials. These coats of arms may also refer to the families.

Church of St Mary, Kingston St Mary: detail of arches with coats of arms

RIBA151293
Bampfylde, Coplestone Warre (1720-1791)
NOTES: The Church of St Mary dates from the 13th century, with later alterations including a 15th century tower. It also contains the vault where the Warre and Bampfylde family were interred and their memorials. These coats of arms may also refer to the families.
Close
)
CLOSE