Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Insignia, emblems

View as Grid List
Sort by

South Bank Polytechnic, Elephant & Castle, London: the entrance

RIBA100648
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: In 1992 the buildings on this site became part of South Bank University.

Trinity Almshouses, Mile End Road, Stepney, London

RIBA101596
Ogbourne, Sir William (c. 1662-1734)
NOTES: Built in 1695 for the Corporation of Trinity House by the master carpenter, William Ogbourne, the almshouses consist of two rows of brick cottages facing each other across a garden. Having suffered bomb damage in 1941 during World War II, they were restored and modernized by the London County Council in 1956-1962.

London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: detail of the fireplace in the Great Hall showing Thomas Sutton's coat of arms

RIBA102050
NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Paget. The range with the Great Hall was built 1545-1564 by Lord North.The fireplace of Caen stone was installed in 1614 and has Sutton's coat of arms at its centre.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: detail of the 16th century stained glass in the library window showing Elizabeth I's coat of arms

RIBA102064
Bentley, Richard (1708-1782)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction. The stained glass seen here was orignally in the window of the closet in the Great North Bedchamber.

Woolpits, Ewhurst, Surrey: detail of the coat of arms

RIBA102498
Ernest George & Peto
NOTES: Woolpits was built for the pottery manufacturer Sir Henry Doulton and much use was made of terrracotta throughout the house, especially on the chimneys and internally for decoration.

Woolpits, Ewhurst, Surrey: detail of panelling, carved woodwork and the coat of arms

RIBA102508
Ernest George & Peto
NOTES: Woolpits was built for the pottery manufacturer Sir Henry Doulton and much use was made of terrracotta throughout the house, especially on the chimneys and internally for decoration.
Close
)
CLOSE