Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Heating and ventilating

View as Grid List
Sort by

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: view of the underside (soffit) of the barrel vault of the great hall at the north end

RIBA130490
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. Behind the decorative grilles which form some of the panels of the vault are hollow bricks which provide the ventilation outlets. Also in the arch immediately above the organ are five large grilles and further ventilation outlets behind the rosettes in the coffers of the soffit. See RIBA130479 for a black and whiter version of this image.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the top lit Civil Court with its coved ceiling

RIBA130498
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. The square panels in the coved ceiling and the continuous wooden cornice above the columns conceal outlet vents for heating and ventilation. Suspended from the ceiling are gasoliers.

Farnborough College of Technology, Farnborough, Hampshire

RIBA130949
Hampshire County Council. County Architects Department

Solid State Logic HQ, Begbroke, Oxfordshire: detail of heating and ventilation

RIBA134131
Michael Hopkins & Partners
NOTES: The offices designed by Michael Hopkins are located in the grounds of a former convent school / country house. The administration, sales and marketing are located in the old house.

Mary Ward Settlement (Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings), Tavistock Place, London: an original cast iron radiator set into a niche in the dining room

RIBA134778
Smith & Brewer
NOTES: The Mary Ward Settlement (originally known as the Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings) was founded in the 1890s by Mary Augusta Ward under the financial patronage of John Passmore Edwards. It aimed to provide facilities to 'improve the the religious, moral, intellectual or physical well-being of the people of London' and was also notable for housing the first fully equipped classrooms for children with disabilities.

Mary Ward Settlement (Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings), Tavistock Place, London: a hall radiator (replacement of the original ones)

RIBA134789
Smith & Brewer
NOTES: The Mary Ward Settlement (originally known as the Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings) was founded in the 1890s by Mary Augusta Ward under the financial patronage of John Passmore Edwards. It aimed to provide facilities to 'improve the the religious, moral, intellectual or physical well-being of the people of London' and was also notable for housing the first fully equipped classrooms for children with disabilities.

Radio City Tower, Houghton Street, Liverpool

RIBA135253
NOTES: Also known as St John's Beacon, this radio and observation tower with revolving restaurant was originally built as a ventilation shaft for St John's Market. However, it was never used as such due to a new law passed on the year of completion. After a lengthy period of disuse, it was refurbished in 1999 and reopened in 2000 as Radio City 96.7.
)
CLOSE