NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 and became Ampleforth Preparatory School. The carved screens and surround were dismantled in 1931 and subsequently erected at Bowes Museum.
NOTES: The Town Hall was built in 1937-1938. The windows and plaster ceiling of Hercules Hall both belonged to the Jacobean part of Emral Hall in Flintshire which was demolished in the 1930s. The wood panelling, also from Emral Hall, dates from the 1720s.