NOTES: This palace was built by Pope Gregory XIII in 1574 as a summer residence. It served as a papal residence and housed the central offices responsible for the civil government of the Papal States until 1870. It has been the official residence and workplace of the Presidents of the Italian Republic since 1946.
NOTES: Built for the politician Joseph King, this house has latterly been known as 'Kingwood'. Godfrey Blount, a friend of C. R. Ashbee, set up with his wife Ethel Hine, The Haslemere Peasant Industries in I896 to revive local craft traditions. This frieze was later removed.
NOTES: This Livery hall for the Salters' Company was designed in 1968 by Sir Basil Spence, but built in 1972-1976 by his successor practice, John S. Bonnington Partnership. It replaced the previous hall in Oxford Place, which was destroyed by fire in an air raid in 1941.
NOTES: Hatfield House, commissioned by the Lord Treasurer, Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, was designed by Simon Basil, who was Surveyor of the King's Works from 1606 until his death in 1615. The construction of the house was supervised by the surveyor, Robert Lemyinge (or Liminge), from 1607 to 1612.