Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Halls

View as Grid List
Sort by

Stock Exchange, Capel Court, City of London

RIBA15494
Peacock, James (1738?-1814)
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl. 74

Westminster Hall, Palace of Westminster, London: view of the hall and hammer-beam roof

RIBA15513
Herland, Hugh
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl. 94 NOTES: This ancient hall housed the Law Courts from the 13th century until 1882. The Hall itself was generally used for the trial of peers, 'accused of treason or any other high crimes', and for those impeached by the House of Commons.

Hospital for Seamen, Greenwich Palace, London: the hall housing the funeral car which bore the remains of Admiral Horatio Nelson

RIBA15516
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl. 97

Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London: the Chelsea Pensioners dining in hall

RIBA15517
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl.

South Sea House, 37 Threadneedle Street, London: the dividend hall

RIBA15520
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl. 102, before p. 267 NOTES: The South Sea Company was incorporated in 1711 and assigned a monopoly of British Trade with Spanish America. The building was erected about that time for the purpose of the company's business.

Excise Office, Broad Street, London

RIBA15521
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl. 103 NOTES: The Excise Office, established in 1643, was originally located in a mansion on the south side of the church in the Old Jewry. In 1767 the government purchased Gresham College from the Corporation of London on the site of which this new office was built.

Holkham Hall, Norfolk: the Palladian Hall

RIBA15641
Kent, William (1685?-1748)

Holkham Hall, Norfolk: the Palladian Hall

RIBA15642
Kent, William (1685?-1748)

Houghton Hall, Norfolk: close-up of the chimneypiece and gallery in the Stone Hall with sculptural oranmentation by J. M. Rysbrack

RIBA15644
Campbell, Colen (1676-1729)
NOTES: Houghton Hall, built for Sir Robert Walpole, was begun in 1722 to designs by Colen Campbell under the supervision of T. Ripley. It was completed in 1735 with some modifications to the towers in 1725-1728 by James Gibbs and to the interiors by William Kent in 1726-1731.

Sledmere House: the staircase hall

RIBA15685
Sykes, Sir Christopher (1749-1801)
NOTES: Sledmere House dates from 1751 but was greatly extended and redecorated in the 1780s and 1790s to the designs of Samuel Wyatt and the owner Sir Christopher Sykes. Following a fire in 1911 the house was extensively restored.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE