Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Gymnasia

View as Grid List
Sort by

Village College, Impington: south-west elevations including the gymnasium

RIBA36312
Fry, Edwin Maxwell (1899-1987)
NOTES: This, and several other early designs were originally labelled 'Village college at Histon'. Histon is the adjoining village to Impington and at the beginning of the project the site was erroneously thought to be in Histon.

The abandoned Claudio Coutinho gymnasium, Ayrton Senna Sports Complex, Federal District, Brasilia

RIBA40912
NOTES: The city of Brasilia was planned and developed in 1956 with Lucio Costa as chief urban planner and Oscar Niemeyer as principal architect. It formally became the capital of Brazil in 1960 and is the seat of all three branches of the Brazilian government.

Eton Boys and Old Boys Clubs, Hackney Wick, Hackney, London: the gymnasium

RIBA41137
Goodhart-Rendel, Harry Stuart (1887-1959)

Burleigh County Secondary Modern School, Hatfield, Hertfordshire: the gymnasium with aluminium roof decking

RIBA42911
Architects Co-Partnership
NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and headed its pioneering school-building programme. Located near a large jet aircraft factory and landing ground, the construction of this school presented a special insulation problem. It was overcome by using minimum glazing on the elevations facing the noise, keeping the buildings low and using lawns as sound absorbent surfaces.

Extension to Mayfield School, Putney, London: entrance to the gymnasium

RIBA43012
Powell & Moya
NOTES: The extension to the existing Mayfield girls' school, designed by Powell & Moya for the London County Council, provided 1,620 new places and converted the school into a girls' comprehensive. The existing site on the north side of West Hill was increased by nine acres by taking in adjacent bomb-damaged properties. Since the new buildings were designed during a steel shortage, the three-storey buildings with brick structural walls were deemed to save steel and provide an economical solution.

Rutherford Comprehensive School for Boys, Penfold Street (and Bell Street), Marylebone, London: the assembly hall topped by a pyramid faced in green slate and flanked by gymnasia

RIBA43031
Leonard Manasseh & Partners
NOTES: This secondary school provided places for 780 boys, based on the decentralized 'House' system of organization. It is now Marylebone Lower House, part of the North Westminster Community School.

Secondary modern school, Richmond, North Yorkshire: the gymnasium seen from the south-east

RIBA43053
Clarke-Hall & Scorer
NOTES: This school occupies a site adjoining that of Richmond High School for Girls, the first school Denis Lucien Clarke-Hall designed and which was completed in 1940.

Secondary modern school, Richmond, North Yorkshire: close-up of the gymnasium on the south-east corner of the main teaching block

RIBA43059
Clarke-Hall & Scorer
NOTES: This school occupies a site adjoining that of Richmond High School for Girls, the first school Denis Clarke-Hall designed and which was completed in 1940.

Secondary modern school, Richmond, North Yorkshire: the south elevation of the main teaching block, looking towards the gymnasium window

RIBA43060
Clarke-Hall & Scorer
NOTES: This school occupies a site adjoining that of Richmond High School for Girls, the first school Denis Clarke-Hall designed and which was completed in 1940.
)
CLOSE