NOTES: Although the cathedral was consecrated in 1850 only the nave of Scott's design of 1847 had been completed. When George Gilbert Scott Jnr was asked to continue the building of the cathedral in 1880 he kept the original plan for the choir and the transepts but was permitted modifications. This building, completed in 1885, was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1892. Restoration began the following year with the chancel and transepts completed by 1895 and the nave by 1905. The crossing tower has yet to be constructed.