Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Government buildings

View as Grid List
Sort by

National Congress buildings, Eixo Monumental, Brasilia: the Chamber of Deputies and the Towers of Congress

RIBA2161-16
Niemeyer, Oscar (1907-2012)
NOTES: The city of Brasilia was planned and developed in 1956 with Lucio Costa as chief urban planner and Oscar Niemeyer as principal architect. It formally became the capital of Brazil in 1960 and is the seat of all three branches of the Brazilian government. The National Congress buildings completed in 1958, comprise the Federal Senate, the Chamber of Deputies and the administrative twin Towers of Congress.

Prague Castle: the black diorite vase

RIBA2593-12
Plecnik, Joze (1872-1957)

Waterloo Bridge seen from the South Bank with Somerset House across the river, London

RIBA2921-27
Scott, Sir Giles Gilbert (1880-1960)
NOTES: Sir G. G. Scott designed Waterloo Bridge, completed in 1945, while Sir William Chambers was responsible for the Palladian style Somerset House, Strand, completed in 1796.

10 Downing Street, Whitehall, London

RIBA3040-34
Couse, Kenton (1721-1790)
NOTES: This cul-de-sac of plain brick terraced houses was built on the instruction of Sir George Downing, Member of Parliament for Carlisle and later for Morpeth, on the site of the garden of Hampden House in 1682-1684. Number 10, originally three houses, was altered internally by William Kent in 1732-1735 for Sir Robert Walpole, and further by Sir John Soane in 1825. It was completely gutted and new features added under the supervision of Raymond Erith in 1954-1963. Most of the exterior shape and features of Number 10 were created by William Kent in 1735. The Georgian front door and the blackened brick bays are the work of Kenton Couse and was completed in 1775. Number 10 Downing Street is the modern residence of the First Lord of the Treasury and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

London Eye and County Hall, South Bank, Lambeth, London

RIBA3041-34
David Marks & Julia Barfield
NOTES: County Hall, designed by Ralph Knott in 1911 and completed in 1922, was the headquarters of London County Council, which became the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965. It remained the seat of local government until the GLC was abolished in 1986. Marks & Barfield designed the London Eye in 2000 for the Millennium celebrations.

London Eye and County Hall, South Bank, Lambeth, London, seen from Westminster Bridge

RIBA3042-34
David Marks & Julia Barfield
NOTES: County Hall, designed by Ralph Knott in 1911 and completed in 1922, was the headquarters of London County Council, which became the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965. It remained the seat of local government until the GLC was abolished in 1986. Marks & Barfield designed the London Eye in 2000 for the Millennium celebrations.

Viceroy's House, New Delhi: east front

RIBA3118-39
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)

Viceroy's House, New Delhi: the main entrance

RIBA3655-72
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
)
CLOSE