Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Gothic Revival: Rich colours and decoration

Gothic Revival architecture is know for its use of rich colour and decoration, often seen in sumptuous interiors.

View as Grid List
Sort by

Blickling Hall, Norfolk: design for a fireplace in the library

RIBA3975
Pollen, John Hungerford (1820-1902)

St Augustine's Church, Kilburn, London

RIBA6088
Pearson, John Loughborough (1817-1897)

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: the Long Gallery with Gothick fan-vaulted ceiling

RIBA9224
Chute, John (1701-1776)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: detail of the Gothick fan-vaulted ceiling of the Long Gallery

RIBA9225
Chute, John (1701-1776)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction.

Eastern Road gateway, Brighton College: detail of the upper part

RIBA47319
Jackson, Sir Thomas Graham (1835-1924)

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: the bay window in the Round Room

RIBA49297
Chute, John (1701-1776)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction.The stained glass in the Round Room was inserted in the 1860s.

John Rylands Library, Deansgate, Manchester, restoration and extension

RIBA54587
Austin-Smith Lord
NOTES: The library designed by Champneys opened in 1899. 2007 saw the completion of the restoration (Lloyd Evans Prichard) and extension (Austin-Smith Lord) of the building.

Wills Memorial Building, University of Bristol, Queen's Road, Bristol: the entrance hall

RIBA92297
Oatley, Sir George Herbert (1863-1950)
NOTES: The Wills Memorial Building was designed in 1912 to be a landmark for the new university. Built in the Perpendicular Gothic style, it was begun in 1915 and, after being delayed through World War I, it was finally completed in 1925. George Herbert Oatley was knighted the same year in recognition of his work.

Designs for St Peter's, Vauxhall, London: exterior decoration of the narthex

RIBA94370
Pearson, John Loughborough (1817-1897)
NOTES: These decorations were not carried out. The executed design was somewhat modified to reduce costs. The set of drawings in the RIBA are for the original, unmodified designs.

Church of St John the Evangelist, Cowley, Oxford: interior perspective looking east

RIBA94454
Bodley, George Frederick (1827-1907)
NOTES: The church was built 1894-1896; its tower was completed in 1902. This is possibly the drawing exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts, London in 1899 ('Interior of St John's Church, Cowley, Oxford, number 1625).

Competition design for the Wealdstone Baptist Church, High Street, Harrow, London: perspective

RIBA97246
Taperell & Haase
NOTES: This design for church, church hall and school was unsuccessful. The church was built in 1905 to the designs of other architects.

Tower House, Melbury Road, Kensington, London: perspective of the library

RIBA97348
Burges, William (1827-1881)
NOTES: This watercolour was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1880 (number 1178) as 'A library in Kensington'.

Designs for stained glass windows for the Church of Saint Matthias, Preston, Brighton: lower lights at west end

RIBA98348
Lonsdale, Horatio Walter (1843-1919)
NOTES: The lower lights of the west end of the church (Nos.1-4) depict angels with the Virgin and Child, guardian angels with children and a mother teaching her child.

All Saints, Leek, Staffordshire: the altar and reredos

RIBA102102
Jackson, Frederick Hamilton (1848-1923)
NOTES: The reredos is by Lethaby and the painting is by Frederick Hamilton Jackson.

Design for a chancel

RIBA125715
Bentley, John Francis (1839-1902)
NOTES: This drawing was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1861 ('Study for a Chancel', number 671).

St Pancras Hotel and Chambers, Euston Road, London: the main staircase

RIBA2468-6
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: St Pancras Station opened in 1868 while the hotel, also known as the Midland Grand Hotel, opened in 1874. The latter was built for the eponymous railway company to receive travellers through the adjacent St Pancras Station. It was converted into offices in 1935.

Church of St Mary, Studley Royal, North Yorkshire: the ornately decorated vaulted chancel and choir

RIBA4011
Burges, William (1827-1881)
NOTES: This church was built for the 1st Marchioness of Ripon.

Gothic saloon

RIBA6212
Landi, Gaetano
SOURCE: Gaetano Landi. Architectural decorations (London, 1810), pl. 13

Carlton House, Pall Mall, London: the Gothic Dining Room

RIBA19621
Nash, John (1752-1835)
SOURCE: William Henry Pyne. The History of the royal residences (London, 1819), vol. 3, Carlton House, facing p. 63 NOTES: The house was demolished in 1825 and replaced by Carlton House Terrace, designed by John Nash.

Designs for the Chapel of Saint Hugh, Bishop's Hostel, Lincoln: ground floor plan and perspectives

RIBA98449
Moore, Temple Lushington (1856-1920)
NOTES: It was perhaps these drawings which were exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1908 (number 1680). What is certain from the label on the verso of the board is that this board with its plan and perspectives was exhibited at the Exhibition of British Architecture, Paris, May 1914, in the Modern Work Section.
Close
)
CLOSE