NOTES: The house was built originally by Baldwin (begun 1786) for Thomas Johnes (1748-1816). A library and conservatory were added by John Nash 1793-1794. A disastrous fire in 1807 destroyed all of NashÔÇÖs work, but the house was rebuilt by Baldwin (1807-1810) retaining NashÔÇÖs library. A large extension was added by Anthony Salvin in 1846-1851 and the house was altered again from 1872. The estate declined in the early 20th century and the house was abandoned in 1942. It was demolished in 1956.
NOTES: In 1846-1849 the seventh Duke of Bedford initiated the rebuilding of the village as a 'model village'. The new buildings, designed by Samuel Sanders Teulon, included this school with three schoolrooms, for boys, girls, and infants, a post office, shops, a relieving office for the poor and infirm, and many cottages. These premises ceased to be used as a school in 1925.
NOTES: This abbey for Augustinian canonesses was founded in the early 13th century by Ela, Countess of Salisbury. It was dissolved in 1539 and sold to Sir William Sharrington who converted it into a family home. The Gothick Great Hall was built for John Ivory Talbot by Sanderson Miller in 1753-1755.