NOTES: St Pancras Station opened in 1868 while the hotel, also known as the Midland Grand Hotel, opened in 1874. The latter was built for the eponymous railway company to receive travellers through the adjacent St Pancras Station. It was converted into offices in 1935.
NOTES: This was James Wyatt's last great Gothic house, finished on his death by his nephew Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyatville) who added the lower buildings on the right in the drawing. See RIBA95235 for Buckler's view of the house from the south-east at the time of Wyatt's death.
NOTES: Built by Richard Payne Knight, virtuoso, archaeologist and anthropologist, c.1772-1778, this house is one of the earliest contrived castellated castles. Knight was assisted in the early stages of building by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard.
NOTES: This abbey for Augustinian canonesses was founded in the early 13th century by Ela, Countess of Salisbury. It was dissolved in 1539 and sold to Sir William Sharrington who converted it into a family home. The Gothick Great Hall was built for John Ivory Talbot by Sanderson Miller in 1753-1755.
NOTES: Hardwicke House was built by the physician James Loftus Marsden M.D. as a centre for those seeking the health benefits of Malvern's spring waters. It was equipped with the newest innovations in 'electro-chemical' and Turkish baths.
NOTES: The architects working on the existing house during the period 1811-1820 were Thomas Hopper, who was responsible for the conservatory, William Hollins of Birmingham, who was responsible for changes to the old hall in 1817 and some ornamental work, and, most significantly, Thomas Allason, commissioned by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury in 1819-20, who designed the north Entrance Hall, Chapel, great Drawing Room, Long Gallery and dining room. The house was later to be altered by A.W.N. Pugin and its name changed to Alton Towers.
NOTES: This painting is a copy of Allom's orignal perspective that came to William Brakspear after having worked in Sir Charles Barry's office. The original watercolour, one of two of the new Houses of Parliament, was commissioned by Barry and gifted to Tsar Nicholas I following his visit to London in 1844.