Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Gothic Revival: Irregular Appearance

Gothic Revival architecture placed emphasis on asymmetry, seen in the creation of the romantic silhouette.

View as Grid List
Sort by

Views of Ashridge Park, Hertfordshire: perspective from the south-east

RIBA3906
Wyatt, James (1746-1813)
NOTES: This was James Wyatt's last great Gothic house, finished on his death by his nephew Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyatville) who added the lower buildings on the right in the drawing. See RIBA95235 for Buckler's view of the house from the south-east at the time of Wyatt's death.

Design for Leeds Grammar School

RIBA3924
Barry, Edward Middleton (1830-1880)

Downton Castle, Downton-on-the-Rock, Herefordshire

RIBA5264
Knight, Richard Payne (1750-1824)
NOTES: Built by Richard Payne Knight, virtuoso, archaeologist and anthropologist, c.1772-1778, this house is one of the earliest contrived castellated castles. Knight was assisted in the early stages of building by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard.

All Saints, Boyne Hill, Maidenhead, Berkshire

RIBA11179
Street, George Edmund (1824-1881)

Quantock Lodge, Over Stowey, Somerset

RIBA11185
Clutton, Henry (1819-1893)

Gothic Temple, Stowe, Buckinghamshire

RIBA49291
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)

St Luke's, Warren Hill, Torquay, Devon

RIBA49932
Blomfield, Sir Arthur William (1829-1899)

Royal Freemasons' School for Girls, Wandsworth Common, London

RIBA53291
Hardwick, Philip Charles (1822-1892)

St Barnabas Church and parsonage, Homerton High Street, Hackney, London

RIBA68845
Ashpitel, Arthur (1807-1869)
NOTES: The church of St Barnabas was consecrated in 1847, but in 1852 a north aisle and vestry were added and the parsonage was built.

St Olave's Grammar School, Bermondsey Street, Southwark, London

RIBA68870
Field, James (fl. 1819-1842)
NOTES: The school was demolished around 1850 when the land it was built on was needed for the railway.

Easneye Park, Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire, for Thomas Fowell Buxton Esq.: perspective

RIBA83533
Waterhouse, Alfred (1830-1905)
NOTES: This lithograph was prepared for John Edward Cussans, History of Hertfordshire, vol. 1 (1870-1873).

Alton Abbey (later Alton Towers), Staffordshire: perspective

RIBA84114
Allason, Thomas (1790-1852)
NOTES: The architects working on the existing house during the period 1811-1820 were Thomas Hopper, who was responsible for the conservatory, William Hollins of Birmingham, who was responsible for changes to the old hall in 1817 and some ornamental work, and, most significantly, Thomas Allason, commissioned by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury in 1819-20, who designed the north Entrance Hall, Chapel, great Drawing Room, Long Gallery and dining room. The house was later to be altered by A.W.N. Pugin and its name changed to Alton Towers.

New Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London: perspective from the south-east

RIBA98327
Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: This painting is a copy of Allom's orignal perspective that came to William Brakspear after having worked in Sir Charles Barry's office. The original watercolour, one of two of the new Houses of Parliament, was commissioned by Barry and gifted to Tsar Nicholas I following his visit to London in 1844.

Contract drawing for St Paul's School for Boys, Hammersmith, London: perspective from the south-east

RIBA99253
Waterhouse, Alfred (1830-1905)
NOTES: This is possibly the drawing exhibited by Waterhouse at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1880 (St Paul's School at Kensington [sic], number 1177).

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London

RIBA102809
Bentley, Richard (1708-1782)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction. The stained glass seen here is a mixture of English and Flemish glass.

St Pancras Hotel and Chambers, Euston Road, London

RIBA2899-26
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: St Pancras Station opened in 1868 while the hotel, also known as the Midland Grand Hotel, opened in 1874. The latter was built for the eponymous railway company to receive travellers through the adjacent St Pancras Station. It was converted into offices in 1935.

Tower House, Melbury Road, Kensington, London: street front

RIBA7220
Burges, William (1827-1881)
SOURCE: The House of William Burges ARA, edited by R. P. Pullan (London, 1875-1885), portfolio plate no. 6

Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire: the Gothick Great Hall on the west front

RIBA9192
Miller, Sanderson (1716-1780)
NOTES: This abbey for Augustinian canonesses was founded in the early 13th century by Ela, Countess of Salisbury. It was dissolved in 1539 and sold to Sir William Sharrington who converted it into a family home. The Gothick Great Hall was built for John Ivory Talbot by Sanderson Miller in 1753-1755.

Abbotsford House

RIBA10730
Atkinson, William (ca. 1773-1839)
NOTES: Located near Melrose in the Scottish Borders, on the south bank of the River Tweed, this residence was built for the novelist and poet, Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832).
Close
)
CLOSE