NOTES: The Temple Bar, the only surviving gateway to the City of London, was moved from its original site in Fleet Street in 1878. It was re-erected in Theobalds Park in 1888, forming a grand entrance to the country estate. Its reconstruction at Paternoster Square next to St Paul's Cathedral was completed in November 2004.
NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.
NOTES: This manor house was saved from complete dereliction when it was purchased by the Telford Development Corporation in 1964 and urgent repairs were subsequently undertaken. It was sold again in 1984 and transformed into a luxury hotel.
SOURCE: James Fergusson. Tree and serpent worship, or; Illustrations of mythology and art in India in the first and fourth centuries after Christ, from the sculptures of the Buddhist topes at Sanchi and Amravati (London: W.H. Allen, 1868)