Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Gateways

View as Grid List
Sort by

Stokesay Castle, Shropshire: the gatehouse with the medieval great hall in the background

RIBA2996-31
NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.

Arch of Hadrian, Athens, with the ruins of the Temples of Zeus Olympus in the background

RIBA4139
NOTES: It is likely this drawing dates from between 1751 and 1754, during Stuart's extensive travels in Greece.This image also appeared as an engraving in Stuart & Revett's 'The Antiquities of Athens' (London, 1794), vol. III, ch. iii, pl. I.

Keble College, Oxford: the gateway

RIBA4176
Butterfield, William (1814-1900)

Lupton's Range, Eton College, Berkshire: close-up of the gatehouse tower from School Yard

RIBA4775
NOTES: Roger Lupton was provost of Eton College from 1503 to 1535, during which time he commissioned the new range. Built in 1517-1520, it comprised the provost's lodge, the Election Hall, and the embattled tower of the gatehouse.

Brandenburg Gate and the Quadriga, Berlin

RIBA4917
Langhans, Carl Gotthard (1732-1808)
NOTES: The sculpture of the Quadriga with Viktoria above the gate was made by Johann Gottfried Schadow.

Castell Coch: the drawbridge

RIBA5261
Burges, William (1827-1881)

Castell Coch: the drawbridge

RIBA5269
Burges, William (1827-1881)

Chester Terrace, Regent's Park, London: close-up of one of the two Corinthian archways leading from Albany Street to the Outer Circle of the Park

RIBA5339
Nash, John (1752-1835)
NOTES: Chester Terrace has the longest unbroken facade in Regent's Park and was designed by John Nash and built by James Burton in 1825.

Royal Pavilion, Brighton: a colonnaded gateway

RIBA5351
Nash, John (1752-1835)
NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.
Categories
)
CLOSE