NOTES: Woburn Abbey became the seat of the Russell family in 1547 and of the Dukes of Bedford from 1694. The Abbey was largely rebuilt between 1744 and 1790 by Henry Flitcroft and Henry Holland. The house and park were opened to the public in 1955.
NOTES: Clandon Park was rebuilt in Palladian style for 2nd Lord Onslow by the Venetian-born architect, Giacomo Leoni, c.1730-1733. Work on the interiors continued into the 1740s. The grounds were landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown in the 1770s.