SOURCE: Humphry Repton. Fragments on the theory and practice of landscape gardening (London, 1816), facing p. 126 NOTES: The aquatint plates in the book are almost certainly all engraved from drawings made by Humphry Repton or his son, John Adey Repton.
NOTES: Richard Cassels, a German architect living in Ireland, was engaged by John Browne, later the first Earl of Altamont, in 1732 to design the present east facade as part of a classical house laid out around the core of the earlier fortified house, O' Malley Castle. The house was further extended in the 1770s, but the two wings at the back of house were never completed. The artificial lake was created by the second Earl of Altamont (d.1780).
NOTES: Originally built in 1655, Witley Court was remodelled by John Nash in c. 1806. It was remodelled again in Italianate style in 1854-1860 for the first Earl of Dudley by Samuel Daukes. The terraces and the gardens were laid out by William Andrew Nesfield at the same time. The house was devastated by fire in 1937 after which it was stripped and abandoned until taken into the care of English Heritage in 1984.