Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.


View as Grid List
Sort by

3 and 5 Porchester Terrace, London

Loudon, John Claudius (1783-1843)
SOURCE: J. C. Loudon (revised and edited by J. W. Loudon). The Villa gardener (London, 1850), p. 140 NOTES: Loudon designed this double house and lived in the side whose entrance can be seen.

Wirework edging and an example of a stonework vase on an appropriate pedestal for the garden

Loudon, John Claudius (1783-1843)
SOURCE: J. C. Loudon (revised and edited by J. W. Loudon). The Villa gardener (London, 1850), p. 181

Example of vinery

SOURCE: Humphry Repton. Fragments on the theory and practice of landscape gardening (London, 1816), facing p. 126 NOTES: The aquatint plates in the book are almost certainly all engraved from drawings made by Humphry Repton or his son, John Adey Repton.

Villa Pamphili (or Villa Doria Pamphili), Rome: the Casino

Algardi, Alessandro (1598-1654)
SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 124

Westport House, County Mayo: the park and lake seen from the house

Cassels, Richard (1690-1751)
NOTES: Richard Cassels, a German architect living in Ireland, was engaged by John Browne, later the first Earl of Altamont, in 1732 to design the present east facade as part of a classical house laid out around the core of the earlier fortified house, O' Malley Castle. The house was further extended in the 1770s, but the two wings at the back of house were never completed. The artificial lake was created by the second Earl of Altamont (d.1780).

Osmaston Manor

Stevens, Henry Isaac (1807-1873)

Witley Court, Great Witley, Worcestershire: the parterres laid out by William Andrews Nesfield

Daukes, Samuel Whitfield (1811-1880)
NOTES: Originally built in 1655, Witley Court was remodelled by John Nash in c. 1806. It was remodelled again in Italianate style in 1854-1860 for the first Earl of Dudley by Samuel Daukes. The terraces and the gardens were laid out by William Andrew Nesfield at the same time. The house was devastated by fire in 1937 after which it was stripped and abandoned until taken into the care of English Heritage in 1984.

Old Barn, Common Road, Stanmore, London: looking through an archway to the garden

NOTES: The house was a 17th century tithe barn from Worcestershire, moved and converted into a house.

Viceroy's House, New Delhi: the north fort grotto

Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)