NOTES: Palazzo Borromeo was commissioned by Carlo III in 1632 and dedicated to his wife Isabella D'Adda, from whom the island takes its name. Construction of the house and design of its gardens was entrusted to Angelo Crivelli and completed by Carlo Fontana. The gardens were inaugurated in 1671.
NOTES: This was a development of six terrace houses each with only a 12-foot frontage. The architects, who occupied two of the houses, employed Le Corbusier's 'Modular' system of proportions based upon the Golden Mean.