Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Frescoes

View as Grid List
Sort by

Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the Mantegna funerary chapel

RIBA130535
Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. This is the funerary chapel of Andrea Mantegna and contains his tomb. The frescoes have been attributed to his son Francesco (circa 1470-after 1517) and Antonio Correggio.

Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the dome of the Mantegna funerary chapel

RIBA130536
Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. This is the funerary chapel of Andrea Mantegna and contains his tomb. The frescoes have been attributed to his son Francesco (circa 1470-after 1517) and Antonio Correggio.

Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the Mantegna funerary chapel

RIBA130537
Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. This is the funerary chapel of Andrea Mantegna and contains his tomb. The frescoes have been attributed to his son Francesco (circa 1470-after 1517) and Antonio Correggio.

Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the dome over the central crossing

RIBA130538
Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. The fresco decoration is by Giorgio Anselmi.

San Domenico, Bologna: paintings in the dome depicting the life of San Dominic by Vittorio Bigari

RIBA136140
Dotti, Carlo Francesco (1670-1759)
NOTES: The church was built on the site of the medieval church of San Nicolo, where St Dominic was buried in 1221. After his death the site was expanded and a new monastic complex built 1328-1241, later consecrated by Pope Innocent IV in 1251. Over the next centuries the church was altered and added to beginning with a bell tower in 1313 and a series of side chapels in the 15th century. In the early 17th century the medieval remnants of the old church, which was separate, was incorporated into the main church, creating one building. From 1728-1731 the church was remodelled by the architect Carlo Francesco Dotti.

San Frediano, Lucca: the wooden statue of the Virgin Annunciate by Matteo Civitali in the Trenta Chapel

RIBA136195
Civitali, Matteo (1436-1501)
NOTES: The church of San Frediano, dedicated to Fredianus an Irish-born saint and bishop of Lucca, was rebuilt in 1112-1147 over the remains of a 6th century basilica. Its facade dates from the 13th century (restored in the 19th century) and the tall campanile was restored in 1853.

Cathedral of San Martino, Lucca: looking towards the vault and ceiling frescoes of the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament

RIBA136231
Civitali, Vincenzo (1523-1597)
NOTES: Construction on the cathedral was begun in 1063. The nave and transepts were rebuilt in the 14th century. The facade with its tiers of arcades was begun in 1204 by Guidetto da Como and the sculpture from 1233. The Chapel of the Holy Sacrament is by Vincenzo Civitali and was built in the first half of the 16th century. The frescoes are early 19th century by Stefano Tofanelli.

Church of Santa Caterina, Lucca

RIBA136308
Pini, Francesco

Church of Santa Caterina, Lucca: the dome seen from below with its trompe l'oeil ceiling

RIBA136309
Pini, Francesco
NOTES: The illusionistic ceiling painting is by Bartolomeo de Santi.

Church of Santa Caterina, Lucca: the dome seen from below with its trompe l'oeil ceiling

RIBA136311
Pini, Francesco
NOTES: The illusionistic ceiling painting is by Bartolomeo de Santi.

Church of Santa Caterina, Lucca: the dome seen from below with its trompe l'oeil ceiling

RIBA136312
Pini, Francesco
NOTES: The illusionistic ceiling painting is by Bartolomeo de Santi.

Church of Santa Caterina, Lucca: the dome seen from below with its trompe l'oeil ceiling

RIBA136313
Pini, Francesco
NOTES: The illusionistic ceiling painting is by Bartolomeo de Santi.
Categories
)
CLOSE