NOTES: John Thomas was commissioned to design and sculpt the memorial to abolutionist Joseph Sturge in 1860. The Memorial was unveiled in June 1862, a few months after Thomas had died. The Memorial is Grade II listed.
NOTES: Prince Albert designed and supervised the construction of the dairy while the sculptor John Thomas was responsible for the design of the elaborate interiors and stonework. See RIBA25324 and RIBA86862 where the fountain can be seen in situ within the dairy.
NOTES: The Montefiore Fountain, a cast iron drinking fountain, was presented by John Montefiore in memory of his father, John Castello Montefiore, a Bridgetown merchant who had died of cholera in 1864.Opened to the public in November 1865, the fountain was first located at Beckwith Place, Lower Broad Street; it was moved to Coleridge Street in 1940 (and is no longer attached to the water supply).
NOTES: The designs for the pedestals as modelled on plates in Wendel Dietterlin's Architectura; see, for the lop left pedestal pl. 176 in the section Das Funffte Buch von der Composita, and for the top right pedestal pl. 47 in the section Das Annder Buch von der Dorica.