NOTES: Uplands was a country house designed by E. B. Lamb in 1858-1859. In 1956 it was bought by the Cooperative Permanent Building Society (later the Nationwide Building Society) for use as a conference and training centre. A new accommodation block was built alongside the main house in 1958. In 1978 the Nationwide commissioned Edward Cullinan Architects to redevelop the conference centre. The front range of the 1859 house was retained but the service wing and the 1958 building were demolished and replaced, by a new foyer and dining hall, and residential wings. Completed in 1983 the new conference centre opened in May 1984 to mark the Nationwide's centenary celebrations. See RIBA119496 for a black and white version of this image.
NOTES: Church is mainly 13th century, with a late 14th century tower and spire. The south porch was rebuilt in 1872-1876 as part of a restoration. The Axe and Compass Inn dates back to the 17th century.