NOTES: This Benedictine priory was a monastic institution with a double church: the parish church to the west, and the monastic church, or 'Quire', to the east. The church dates from the 12th century and is a fine example of Norman and Early English architecture. It was dissolved in 1536 and thereafter served as the parish church. The foliage pattern on the vaulting was the work of 16th century Flemish painters.
NOTES: This former parish church, built in Derbyshire limestone in Gothic style, was completed in 1430. A major restoration by Flockton & Gibbs was completed in 1880. It was elevated to cathedral status in 1919. The nave extension, built of the same stone, was by Arthur Bailey and consecrated in 1966.