Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Follies

View as Grid List
Sort by

Painshill Park, Cobham, Surrey: the Roman mausoleum

RIBA25830
Hamilton, Charles (1704-1786)
NOTES: Laid out picturesquely by the Hon. Charles Hamilton, 9th son of the 6th Earl of Abercorn, between 1738 and 1773, Painshill is an exemplar of the English landscape park.

Painshill Park, Cobham, Surrey: the ivy-clad Gothic ruin

RIBA25832
Hamilton, Charles (1704-1786)
NOTES: Laid out picturesquely by the Hon. Charles Hamilton, 9th son of the 6th Earl of Abercorn, between 1738 and 1773, Painshill is an exemplar of the English landscape park.

Cruising along the River Thames towards Temple Island downstream from Henley-on-Thames

RIBA25880
Wyatt, James (1746-1813)
NOTES: The island, located a mile and a half downstream from the town of Henley, marks the Start of the Henley Royal Regatta Course. The Temple, built in 1771, is a folly designed by James Wyatt as a fishing lodge for Fawley Court, the mansion on the Henley Reach designed by Wren. Temple Island is situated a mile and a half downstream of the picturesque market town of Henley, on one of the most beautiful reaches of the River Thames. Located amidst rolling water meadows and surrounded by wooded hills, it marks the Start of the famous Henley Royal Regatta Course. The Temple itself is a delightful folly,, from which the Temple completed a charming prospect through an avenue of trees.

Design for a garden prospect tower

RIBA29304
Webster, Thomas (1773-1844)

Tower of Jezreel, Watling Street, Gillingham, Kent

RIBA33821
NOTES: This tower formed part of the religious headquarters and sanctuary of the sect founded by James Jershom Jezreel (c.1851-1885) in 1875. Construction on the tower began in 1882 but was never completed and it was demolished in 1961.

McCaig's Folly, Oban, Argyll

RIBA33822
NOTES: This replica of the Colosseum in Rome was undertaken in 1897 by a local banker, John Stuart McCaig, but was never completed. It was erected at a cost of +é-ú5,000 as both a job creation scheme at a time of high unemployment in the area and as a lasting monument to the McCaig family.

Design for a small power house with a conical roof in the grounds of Cour House, Kintyre, Argyll, for the Nickerson family: perspectives and plans of the round structure

RIBA36003
Hill, Oliver (1887-1968)
NOTES: Cour House was the first country house to be built from Oliver Hill's designs.

'Willow Cathedral' built by Sir James Hall in his garden

RIBA36698
Hall, Sir James (1761-1832)
NOTES: This image was prepared for the coloured frontispiece of the 1797 edition of Sir James Hall's 'Essay on the origin, history and principles of Gothic architecture'. In constructing this wicker or 'Willow Cathedral' Hall sought to demonstrate his belief that the earliest stone Gothic buildings were imitations of the natural forms assumed in constructions of boughs and twigs.

Elevation of wicker windows designed for the 'Willow Cathedral' built by Sir James Hall in his garden

RIBA36699
Hall, Sir James (1761-1832)
NOTES: This image was prepared for the 1797 edition of Sir James Hall's 'Essay on the origin, history and principles of Gothic architecture'. In constructing this wicker or 'Willow Cathedral' Hall sought to demonstrate his belief that the earliest stone Gothic buildings were imitations of the natural forms assumed in constructions of boughs and twigs.

Garden buildings at Stowe, Buckinghamshire: views of 'Dido's Cave', the Rotunda and column monuments surmounted by statues of King George II and Queen Caroline

RIBA38376
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
SOURCE: Benton Seeley. Stowe: a description of the magnificent house and gardens (London, 1769), pl. IV NOTES: Dido's Grotto is thought to have been designed by either James Gibbs or Sir John Vanbrugh in around 1728. The Rotunda was built by Vanbrugh in 1721. The monument to George II and Queen Caroline were built in 1724 and 1726 respectively.

Garden buildings at Stowe, Buckinghamshire: views of the Temple of Concord and Victory, the Lady's Temple (Queen's Temple), The Grenville Monument (Column) and the Fane of Pastoral Poetry

RIBA38379
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
SOURCE: Benton Seeley. Stowe: a description of the magnificent house and gardens (London, 1769) NOTES: Originally known as the Grecian Temple, the Temple of Concord and Victory was constructed from around 1747, possibly by James Gibbs. The Fane of Pastoral Poetry was also erected by Gibbs in 1729 while The Lady's Temple (also known as the Temple of Female Friendship and later the Queen's Temple) is believed to have been designed by him in 1742 although it was to be significantly altered in the 1770s. The rostral Grenville Monument (or Column) was completed in around 1749 in memory of Captain Thomas Grenville, a younger brother of Earl Temple.
)
CLOSE