Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Flats

View as Grid List
Sort by

Phase I, Priory Green Estate (formerly known as the Busaco Street Estate), Collier Street, Finsbury, London, seen in its urban context

RIBA2929-28
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1955. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Nakagin Capsule Tower, Tokyo

RIBA2968-30
Kurokawa, Kisho (1934-2007)

Lillington Gardens Estate, Pimlico, London

RIBA3010-32
Darbourne & Darke
NOTES: This was one of the first low-rise, high-density schemes in London and was commissioned by Westminster City Council. It was developed in three phases between 1964 and 1972. It was designated a conservation area in 1990.

Flat, 15 Eaton Terrace, Belgravia, London

RIBA3109-38
Clendinning, Max (1924-)

Great Arthur House, Golden Lane Estate, Finsbury, London

RIBA3171-43
Chamberlin Powell & Bon
NOTES: This Corporation of London housing complex was built on the northern edge of the City of London, an area devastated by bombing during World War II. It was to provide council housing at subsidised rents for the many people who serviced the offices in the City, particularly caretakers, secretaries and police officers, hence the emphasis was on one bedroom flats. The estate was further enlarged to the west and completed in 1962.
Categories
)
CLOSE