NOTES: Commissioned by Mr Lowder, owner of the Golden Manor, to commemorate his diplomatic tenure in China, this fence carving was executed by Werner Wetzel during his stay in the German Prisoner of War camp in Somerset between 1944-1948 after the surrender to British forces in Jersey.
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. A T W Marsden was the chief architect and planner for this phase of the development.
NOTES: Construction on the Cathedral began in 1195. The nave was completed by 1255 and the west facade in 1270. It was consecrated in 1324. The architect was Paul-Louis Boeswillwald and the master builder was Philip Berruyer.