Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Farmhouses

View as Grid List
Sort by

Folly Farm, Sulhamstead, Berkshire: the gardens

RIBA150443
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Folly Farm was a 17th century farmhouse, which was extended twice by Lutyens in the early 20th century. First, shortly after 1906 by the new owner H.H. Cochrane, who employed Lutyens to enlarge the house for him, and produced a relatively small, dolls-house-like extension in a late 17th century style. He also (with the help of Jekyll), laid out the first phase of the garden in a simple manner, adjacent to the east and south fronts. In 1912 the house was bought by Zachary Merton who also employed Lutyens to extend the house to the west in his `Surrey style'. At the same time a parterre garden was created and a Dutch canal replaced previous tennis courts, with planting advice from Jekyll. See RIBA161459 for a colour version of this image.

Folly Farm, Sulhamstead, Berkshire

RIBA150444
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Folly Farm was a 17th century farmhouse, which was extended twice by Lutyens in the early 20th century. First, shortly after 1906 by the new owner H.H. Cochrane, who employed Lutyens to enlarge the house for him, and produced a relatively small, dolls-house-like extension in a late 17th century style. He also (with the help of Jekyll), laid out the first phase of the garden in a simple manner, adjacent to the east and south fronts. In 1912 the house was bought by Zachary Merton who also employed Lutyens to extend the house to the west in his `Surrey style'. At the same time a parterre garden was created and a Dutch canal replaced previous tennis courts, with planting advice from Jekyll. See RIBA161460 for a colour version of this image.

Folly Farm, Sulhamstead, Berkshire: detail of the Dutch canal

RIBA150446
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Folly Farm was a 17th century farmhouse, which was extended twice by Lutyens in the early 20th century. First, shortly after 1906 by the new owner H.H. Cochrane, who employed Lutyens to enlarge the house for him, and produced a relatively small, dolls-house-like extension in a late 17th century style. He also (with the help of Jekyll), laid out the first phase of the garden in a simple manner, adjacent to the east and south fronts. In 1912 the house was bought by Zachary Merton who also employed Lutyens to extend the house to the west in his `Surrey style'. At the same time a parterre garden was created and a Dutch canal replaced previous tennis courts, with planting advice from Jekyll.

Folly Farm, Sulhamstead, Berkshire: detail of the herringbone brickwork paving

RIBA150447
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Folly Farm was a 17th century farmhouse, which was extended twice by Lutyens in the early 20th century. First, shortly after 1906 by the new owner H.H. Cochrane, who employed Lutyens to enlarge the house for him, and produced a relatively small, dolls-house-like extension in a late 17th century style. He also (with the help of Jekyll), laid out the first phase of the garden in a simple manner, adjacent to the east and south fronts. In 1912 the house was bought by Zachary Merton who also employed Lutyens to extend the house to the west in his `Surrey style'. At the same time a parterre garden was created and a Dutch canal replaced previous tennis courts, with planting advice from Jekyll. See RIBA161461 for a colour version of this image.

Standen (formerly Hollybush), East Grinstead: Hollybush farmhouse, with the northernmost end of the new house on the left

RIBA151433
Webb, Philip Speakman (1831-1915)
NOTES: The original Hollybush farmhouse dates from 1450. See RIBA156628 for a colour version of this image.

Northeycote Farm, near Wolverhampton: the fireplace

RIBA155523
F. W. B. & Mary Charles
NOTES: This was a farmhouse, dating from c. 1600. It was extensively restored from a semi-derelict state by Freddie and Mary Charles in the 1980s. See RIBA132885 for a black and white version of this image.

Standen (formerly Hollybush), East Grinstead: Hollybush farmhouse, with the northernmost end of the new house on the left

RIBA156628
Webb, Philip Speakman (1831-1915)
NOTES: The original Hollybush farmhouse dates from 1450. See RIBA151433 for a black and white version of this image.

Horsham St Faith Priory, Norfolk: detail of female crowned head

RIBA158251
NOTES: Originally a Benedicting priory dating from 1200, remodelled c. 1600 and now a farmhouse. The wall paintings shown here were discovered during the mid-20th century and date from the 13th century. See RIBA132946 for a black and white version of this image.

Horsham St Faith Priory, Norfolk

RIBA158252
NOTES: Originally a Benedicting priory dating from 1200, remodelled c. 1600 and now a farmhouse. The wall paintings shown here were discovered during the mid-20th century and date from the 13th century. See RIBA132948 for a black and white version of this image.

Horsham St Faith Priory, Norfolk

RIBA158253
NOTES: Originally a Benedicting priory dating from 1200, remodelled c. 1600 and now a farmhouse. The wall paintings shown here were discovered during the mid-20th century and date from the 13th century. See RIBA132949 for a black and white version of this image.

Glenlyon Farmhouse, Fortingall, seen from the south-west

RIBA158491
MacLaren, James Marjoribanks (1853-1890)
NOTES: The Perthshire village of Fortingall was built between 1890 and 1891 for shipowner Sir Donald Currie, who had bought the Glenlyon Estate, including the village, in 1885. It was designed by James M MacLaren and remains an important example of Arts and Crafts vernacular architecture in Scotland. See RIBA145350 for a black and white version of this image.

Folly Farm, Sulhamstead, Berkshire: the Dutch canal

RIBA159775
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Folly Farm was a 17th century farmhouse, which was extended twice by Lutyens in the early 20th century. First, shortly after 1906 by the new owner H.H. Cochrane, who employed Lutyens to enlarge the house for him, and produced a relatively small, dolls-house-like extension in a late 17th century style. He also (with the help of Jekyll), laid out the first phase of the garden in a simple manner, adjacent to the east and south fronts. In 1912 the house was bought by Zachary Merton who also employed Lutyens to extend the house to the west in his `Surrey style'. At the same time a parterre garden was created and a Dutch canal replaced previous tennis courts, with planting advice from Jekyll.
Close
)
CLOSE