Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Fan vaulting

View as Grid List
Sort by

Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the chapter house

RIBA100384
NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral began in 1180 and was completed by the Lady Chapel in 1326. The nave was completed in 1220-1229. The scissor-arches (inverted strainer arches) were built c. 1338-1348 to support the tower when the foundations of the two western piers sank into the ground. The Chapter House steps were built from 1286 and the upper flight in 1459-1460.

Christ Church College, Oxford: the hall stairs with fan vaulting

RIBA100400
Wyatt, James (1746-1813)
NOTES: The stone staircase is by Wyatt (1905) and the fan vaulting is dated between 1630-1640.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: the long gallery with fan vaulting

RIBA102806
Bentley, Richard (1708-1782)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: the long gallery with fan vaulting

RIBA102807
Bentley, Richard (1708-1782)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction. The stained glass seen here is a mixture of English and Flemish glass.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: detail of the fan vaulting in the long gallery

RIBA102810
Bentley, Richard (1708-1782)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction. The stained glass seen here is a mixture of English and Flemish glass.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London

RIBA102813
Bentley, Richard (1708-1782)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction. The stained glass seen here is a mixture of English and Flemish glass.

King's College Chapel, Cambridge: details of fan vaulting, profiles of groins and of capitals

RIBA127204
Clerk, Simon (1434?-1489)
NOTES: A drawing in the note- and sketch book kept by Murphy while on a visit to England from Ireland in October 1790.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Lavenham, Suffolk: detail of fan vaulting in the entrance porch

RIBA137592
NOTES: The church was built between 1486-1525; the tower dates from 1486-1495, with the upper parts constructed as part of the second building campaign 1517-1525.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul Lavenham, Suffolk: detail of the carved woodwork on the Spourne parclose screen

RIBA137606
Caroe, William Douglas (1857-1938)
NOTES: The church was built between 1486-1525; the tower dates from 1486-1495, with the upper parts constructed as part of the second building campaign 1517-1525. The interior of the church was restored by by F. C. Penrose in 1861-1867 with further repairs and reordering by W. D. Caroe; 1909-1910, who also restored the Spourne parclose screen.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul Lavenham, Suffolk: detail of the carved woodwork on the Spourne parclose screen

RIBA137607
Caroe, William Douglas (1857-1938)
NOTES: The church was built between 1486-1525; the tower dates from 1486-1495, with the upper parts constructed as part of the second building campaign 1517-1525. The interior of the church was restored by by F. C. Penrose in 1861-1867 with further repairs and reordering by W. D. Caroe; 1909-1910, who also restored the Spourne parclose screen.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul Lavenham, Suffolk: detail of the carved woodwork on the Spourne parclose screen

RIBA137608
Caroe, William Douglas (1857-1938)
NOTES: The church was built between 1486-1525; the tower dates from 1486-1495, with the upper parts constructed as part of the second building campaign 1517-1525. The interior of the church was restored by by F. C. Penrose in 1861-1867 with further repairs and reordering by W. D. Caroe; 1909-1910, who also restored the Spourne parclose screen.

St Mary, Mildenhall, Suffolk: detail of the fan vaulting in the ground floor of the west tower

RIBA137718
Farrow, Thomas
NOTES: The oldest parts of the church date from c. 1240-1300 which are the north chapel, east end and chancel, notably the east window (c. 1300). The rest of the church was built 1441-1478, including the tower, which was restored in 1864. A general restoration was was carried out in 1849, including the interior and re-roofing of the chancel by Thomas Farrow. In 1875-1876 the south porch was rebuilt as part of the restoration of the south aisle, possibly by J. D. Wyatt.
Categories
)
CLOSE