NOTES: The Old Town Hall was built as Liverpool's Exchange by John Wood the Elder in 1749-1754. James Wyatt designed various extensions, notably the round dome which replaced Wood's square one in 1802. The building was gutted by fire in 1795 and was reconstructed within the surviving shell under the supervision of John Foster. The portico was added by Foster in 1811.
NOTES: The first Corn Exchange on this site was opened in 1808 (designed by John Foster Snr). A building by Picton replaced it in 1851. This print must have been produced before the building was completed as the inscription in the entablature has an incomplete date after 'rebuilt and enlarged'. Just visible at the end of Brunswick Street is Cockerell's Bank of England building.
NOTES: Richard Grainger, the builder and developer of Newcastle's 'Grainger Town', built the Central Exchange intending it to be the corn market, but this went to another site so in 1839 he opened a colonnaded newsroom on what would have been the exchange floor. This space later became art gallery, concert hall and vaudeville theatre. Following a fire in 1901 that destroyed the interior the Central Arcade was opened within the Central Exchange Buildings.
NOTES: Trading ceased at this the third Royal Exchange in 1939 and later, in the 1990s, the building was refurbished as an upmarket shopping mall. This image was reproduced in Surveyor Engineer & Architect, no. 7, 1840 Aug. 1, facing p. 145; for that image see RIBA17688.
NOTES: The original stock exchange buiilding was constructed in 1531 and is believed to have served as a model for Thomas Gresham's Royal Exchange in London. Destroyed by fire, it was rebuilt by Joseph Schadde in 1868-1872.