SOURCE: William Enfield. An essay towards the history of Leverpool (London, 1774), facing p. 58 NOTES: The Old Town Hall was built as Liverpool's Exchange by John Wood the Elder in 1749-1754. James Wyatt designed extensions, notably the round dome which replaced Wood's square one in 1802. The building was gutted by fire in 1795 and was reconstructed within the surviving shell under the supervision of John Foster. A portico was also added by Foster in 1811.