NOTES: Castel Sant'Angelo was originally constructed as a mausoleum for the Emperor Hadrian in 135-139 AD. The bridge, built at the same time to connect the mausoleum to the Campus Martius, was named Ponte Elio (Pons Aelius). When the mausoleum became a castle in 401 AD, it was renamed Castel Sant'Angelo and the bridge took the same name.
NOTES: Henry Hoare II, a banker who had been on the Grand Tour, inherited Stourhead in 1741and was largely responsible for the design of the gardens. He employed Henry Flitcroft to design many of the garden buildings in the 1740s. The River Stour was dammed to form the great lake and was completed in 1757. The Pantheon, also designed by Henry Flitcroft, was built in 1756.