NOTES: The High Level Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson and built in 1845-1849 for the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway. This is the first major example of a wrought iron tied arch or bow string girder bridge. It links Newcastle-upon-Tyne with Gateshead on the south bank of the River Tyne. Built to facilitate the passage of ships along the Tyne, the swing bridge replaced an earlier Georgian stone one and opened in 1876. It was designed by the engineer John Francis Ure while the ironwork and machinery was supplied by G. Armstrong and Co. of Elswick.