NOTES: Uplands was a country house designed by E. B. Lamb in 1858-1859. In 1956 it was bought by the Cooperative Permanent Building Society (later the Nationwide Building Society) for use as a conference and training centre. A new accommodation block was built alongside the main house in 1958. In 1978 the Nationwide commissioned Edward Cullinan Architects to redevelop the conference centre. The front range of the 1859 house was retained but the service wing and the 1958 building were demolished and replaced, by a new foyer and dining hall, and residential wings. Completed in 1983 the new conference centre opened in May 1984 to mark the Nationwide's centenary celebrations. See RIBA119497 for a black and white version of this image.
NOTES: A late Elizabethan moated, timber-framed manor house, built in 1582 by John Caryl encasing an earlier 15th century hall house. In 1884 the house was sold to Wickham Flower, who as a founder member of SPAB (Society for the Preservation of Ancient Buildings) commissioned Philip Webb to restore it, and to layout the ornamental gardens incorporating the medieval moat. Two extensions were added by Webb (1885-1887 and 1893-1894). After Flower's death in 1904, the house was sold and a new wing added to the north by the architect and landscape designer Inigo Thomas.