Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Embassies, consular buildings

View as Grid List
Sort by

British Medical Association (now Zimbabwe House), 429 Strand, London: view showing defaced statues by Jacob Epstein

RIBA5798
Adams, Harry Percy (1865-1930)
NOTES: Built as the headquarters for the British Medical Association, this building served as the High Commission of Southern Rhodesia from 1923 until the Rhodesian Unilateral Declaration of Independence on November 11, 1965. It remained a representative office until the colony gained independence as Zimbabwe in 1980 and has since been known as Zimbabwe House. The 'Ages of Man' sculptures by Jacob Epstein, the sculptor's first major commission in England, were carved in situ. The mutilation of the statues occurred in the 1930s when possibly dangerous projecting features were hacked-off after pieces fell from one of the statues.

Australia House, Strand, London, under construction

RIBA5998
A. Marshall Mackenzie & Son
NOTES: This High Commission building was designed by Alexander Marshall Mackenzie and his son and built by Dove Brothers. Construction began in 1913 but was delayed by World War I and the building was completed in 1918.

British Medical Association (now Zimbabwe House), 429 Strand, London

RIBA6594
Adams, Harry Percy (1865-1930)
NOTES: Built as the headquarters for the British Medical Association, this building served as the High Commission of Southern Rhodesia from 1923 until the Rhodesian Unilateral Declaration of Independence on November 11, 1965. It remained a representative office until the colony gained independence as Zimbabwe in 1980 and has since been known as Zimbabwe House. The 'Ages of Man' sculptures by Jacob Epstein, the sculptor's first major commission in England, were carved in situ. The mutilation of the statues occurred in the 1930s when possibly dangerous projecting features were hacked-off after pieces fell from one of the statues.

Palazzo Farnese, Rome

RIBA7985
Michelangelo (1475-1564)
SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 107 NOTES: This High Renaissance palace, commissioned by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese in 1515, was begun in 1517, redesigned in 1534 and 1541 by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, modified under Michelangelo from 1546, and completed in 1589. It has been used as the French Embassy since 1635.
Close
)
CLOSE