NOTES: The construction of the New Bodleian Library, intended primarily for book storage, was begun in 1936 and largely finished by 1940. However, during the war years it was used for other purposes and not completed and officially opened until 1946. In 2015 it was reopened following renovation as the Weston Library, for readers and researchers of special collections.
NOTES: This art school, known as the Royal College of Art since 1896, occupied premises in the South Kensington Museum where the various departments were scattered over quite a wide area. The college was rehoused over a period of ten years in purpose-built premises in Kensington Gore, the first of which opened in 1962. It gained university status by Royal Charter in 1967.
NOTES: The extension to the existing Mayfield girls' school, designed by Powell & Moya for the London County Council, provided 1,620 new places and converted the school into a girls' comprehensive. The existing site on the north side of West Hill was increased by nine acres by taking in adjacent bomb-damaged properties. Since the new buildings were designed during a steel shortage, the three-storey buildings with brick structural walls were deemed to save steel and provide an economical solution.