Drawings for St Saviour's Church and Institute, Old Oak Road, Acton, London, for the Royal Association in Aid of the Deaf and Dumb: cross section A-B through the chaplain's house and church and institute building and longitudinal section C-D through the church and institute building
Architect/Designer Maufe, Sir Edward Brantwood (1883-1974) Country UK: England City London Subject Date 1925 Image Date 1924 View Interior Medium Drawing Library Reference PA1019/7(7) Orientation Portrait Colour Info Colour Credit RIBA Collections Subject Vicarages ; Halls ; Churches
NOTES: The Royal Association in Aid of the Deaf and Dumb (later the Royal Association for Deaf People) began in 1854. Their first purpose-built deaf church, at Oxford Street and Lumley Street, opened in 1873 to designs by A. W. Blomfield. This church was demolished in 1923 in the face of redevelopment by the Grosvenor Estate and the compensation paid enabled the charity to purchase two new sites, in Acton and Clapham, and they commissioned Edward Maufe who provided two very similar sets of designs for the new churches. The Acton church retained the dedication and some of the fittings from the Oxford Street church. The institute is on the ground floor with the church above it with a raked floor. The church and institute building (but not the former, and much altered, chaplain's house) is listed Grade II. The church closed in 2014 and was sold in 2015; it opened in 2016 as St Thomas Cathedral in the Syriac Orthodox Church.
Licence Type --- Advertising And Promotion Editorial Display Digital Media Broadcast Merchandising Description Of Usage *
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.