NOTES: Commissioned by the 3rd Earl Grosvenor (later the 1st Duke of Westminster from 1874), this lavish mansion was designed to display his enormous wealth. It comprised 150 bedrooms, massive stables, huge kennels and a chapel. Deemed too costly and large to maintain by the trustees of the Westminster estate, the mansion was demolished in 1961, leaving only the chapel and the stable block. A smaller house was built on the edge of the footprint of the old building in 1967.
NOTES: This room served as the withdrawing room to the Double Cube Room. The names of the Single and Double Cube Rooms stem from their dimensions: the Single Cube is 30 feet long by 30 feet wide by 30 feet high; the Double Cube is 60 feet long by 30 feet wide by 30 feet high.
NOTES: This town house, built for the financier Jean-Baptiste Lambert, was designed by Louis Le Vau. Eustache le Sueur and Charles Le Brun were responsible for the interior decoration, notably the Galerie d'Hercule.