NOTES: Capel House was a purpose built office block by Paul Hoffmann. The Essex and Suffolk Equitable Insurance Society occupied the ground and lower floors and commissioned Voysey to design their interiors.The building was gutted in the 1980s and the Voysey interiors were re-instated behind the facade.
NOTES: The Mary Ward Settlement (originally known as the Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings) was founded in the 1890s by Mary Augusta Ward under the financial patronage of John Passmore Edwards. It aimed to provide facilities to 'improve the the religious, moral, intellectual or physical well-being of the people of London' and was also notable for housing the first fully equipped classrooms for children with disabilities. The library was dedicated to Thomas Hill Green (1836-1882), philosopher, whose writings influenced Mary Ward. See RIBA134800 for the negative of this image.